Professional Technical Writing Course
I found the Professional Writing course was instrumental in landing my first job as a technical writer in the defense industry. -- Dennis
Professional Technical Writing is a three month online writing course that can help to launch your new career in technical writing. If you are already a working technical writer, you can also benefit from this course by updating your writing skills and by acquiring experience in an important skill for technical writers: XML. By learning XML, you will gain valuable experience in structured authoring. You will learn two skills for the price of one!
In this course, you'll learn how to use a systematic process for writing technical documents. You'll learn how to write and revise instructions, technical reports, and software manuals (key technical writing documents). You will also get the chance to practice your technical writing skills by completing five hands-on assignments.
- In assignment one, you'll write a letter. The first assignment focuses on developing skills in identifying the purpose of your writing and understanding the audience.
- In assignment two, you'll write instructions on performing a task. This assignment focuses on helping you to write clear and concise instructions that help users to complete tasks.
- In assignments three and four, you'll create a software manual, conduct a usability test, and revise your manual based on the test results. In these two projects, we try to simulate a typical development environment by having you work in project teams. (Students can also choose to work alone.)
- In the last assignment, you'll write a formal technical report.
You'll receive detailed feedback on the assignments from the instructor, which will help you to develop your technical writing skills. The course takes you through the entire technical writing process, step-by-step!
BONUS: Free XML Fundamentals course
Students in the Professional Technical Writing course receive free access to our XML Fundamentals course. XML is a key skill for technical writers, and technical writers who understand XML are in demand. This course offers exercises and tutorials to help you acquire basic XML editing skills.
The objectives of the XML Fundamentals course are to give you the basic knowledge and skills needed to author content in XML, and to help you develop skills in structured authoring. You'll complete this course in the first two weeks so that you are ready to work on your assignments and gain valuable experience in writing in a structured writing environment.
People interested in this course also looked at:
Information Design Program
- 510 pages of course materials
- Downloadable HTML and PDF versions of materials
- 13 weeks of instructor mentoring
- Expert feedback on all assignments
- Optional instructor-led text chat sessions
- BONUS: Extended trial version of XMLSpy or <oXygen/> XML editor included.
- Working knowledge of English
- Windows XP /Vista /7 /8. Note: Students with a Mac can also participate in this course. Please contact us for details.
Class Start Dates
— December 1, 2014
— January 5, 2015
— February 2, 2015
— March 9, 2015
Check our discounts page before you register to see if you qualify for a discount!
About The Instructor
The instructor will guide you throughout the course by providing one-to-one mentoring. During the course, the instructor will answer your questions by email, provide you with feedback on your assignments, and lead optional text chat sessions to discuss the materials and assignments.
Kitty Bucsko has been teaching business communications and computer technology courses for over 30 years including courses for the Canadian Institute of Management. She has been a member of the Ontario College of Teachers since its inception and has a passion for the Internet and telecommunications technology. She is also an active member in the Society for Technical Communication.
The instructor (Kitty) responded to all email with timeliness and precision. She was most helpful and supportive. The extra readings gave me an opportunity to learn more about a topic if desired. Course materials were fantastic. -- Not specified
This was an excellent, challenging course and Kitty is a great instructor. It helped me quickly enhance my marketable skills and obtain employment. Within several months of completing this course, I found employment as a technical editor. -- Stephen
The course had an instructor who took the time to find out how each student was progressing. She was fair, helpful and highly professional. Keep up the good work. What I have learned in this course, I will be able to apply in the real world. You go to great lengths to ensure that students understand what is expected of them and to let them know that you are concerned about their progress. -- Dana
Register now for the Technical Writing course! We accept check, purchase order, wire transfer or credit card. All credit card transactions are processed by InternetSecure for your protection.